Marchers hope that their actions will help bring light to the issue and allow women in the community to feel safe in Fort St. John during night hours and promote a theme of non-violence. “Take Back the Night” march to promote non-violence towards women-Matthew Lago- Advertisement -Men and women in Fort St. John attempted to “Take Back the Night” and marched to try to bring awareness to the issue of violence towards women.Starting in Philadelphia in 1975 “Take back the Night” is an international event that hopes to promote safety of women, especially at night where many women find it difficult to walk alone and feel safe. Event organizer Emily Goodman hopes this event will promote a theme of non-violence.[asset|aid=3190|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=a8bbf7631585f574cee4f91f3d8b51d2-Emily Goodman 1_2_Pub.mp3] The event was well attended by both men and women as they walked with candles accompanied by members of the police in hopes of allowing women to feel safe walking at night in the community. Goodman notes that this issue is one that is especially important in Fort St. John.[asset|aid=3191|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=a8bbf7631585f574cee4f91f3d8b51d2-Emily Goodman 2_1_Pub.mp3] Advertisement
In a major blow to the Congress in Meghalaya, four-time Chief Minister Donwa Dethwelson Lapang resigned from the party.In his resignation letter to Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Thursday night, Mr. Lapang said he was resigning “reluctantly and with a heavy heart”.The former Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) chief accused the All India Congress Committee (AICC) of embarking upon a policy of phasing out senior and elderly people.“In my opinion it means that service and contribution of senior and elderly people is no longer useful to the party,” he said in the letter, copies of which were made available to the media.Mr. Lapang said, “This restriction made me frustrated and compelled me to be no longer comfortable in the party.”Mr. Lapang first became Chief Minister in 1992. He was again sworn in as Chief Minister in 2003, 2007 and 2009.AICC general secretary in charge of Meghalaya Luizinho Faleirio said he had not met Mr. Lapang in the last three years. Mr. Faleirio said he did not meet Mr. Lapang during his recent visit to Shillong for revamping the activities of the party.Mr. Lapang, after demitting the office of party chief last year, continued to hold the position of an adviser to the party.MPCC president Celestine Lyngdoh expressed surprise over Mr. Lapang’s decision to quit the party. “We’ll try and find out and, if possible, sort out things at the earliest,” he said.
(Auditor General Sheila Frasher. APTN/Photo)APTN National NewsOTTAWA-Canada’s auditor general called for major changes to the relationship between First Nations, Ottawa and provincial governments to break the persistent and growing gap between quality of life on reserves and the rest of the country.After 10 years issuing reports on the performance of government departments, Auditor General Sheila Fraser said the existing system dealing with First Nations was not working.“I believe that First Nations, the federal government, and in some cases the provinces, have to rethink their relationship with each other,” said Fraser. “First Nations people have waited far too long to have the quality of services Canadians receive every day and take for granted.”Fraser said she has done 29 audits that directly or indirectly dealt with First Nations people and has seen very little change in the social conditions afflicting reserves.She said reserves have fallen behind over the last 40 years and the federal government has failed to do anything about it.“The conditions on many reserves remain poor and progress is slow. Some communities are making significant progress, but they are the exception rather than the rule,” said Fraser. “Services on reserves have not kept pace with services in municipal governments…The federal government has not been identifying and funding comparable services on reserves in any systemic fashion.”Fraser said her office had uncovered government failures in education, water quality, housing and child and family services.She also highlighted that her office had found that reporting requirements for First Nations, some with fewer than 500 members, have been “excessive.” She said some of the reports were never reviewed by Indian Affairs or didn’t serve any purpose.She said another report on the government’s response to her office’s concerns around comprehensive land claims will come out in May.Akwesasne Mohawk Council Grand Chief Mike Mitchell thanked Fraser for her work and said his community is mired in required audit reports.Mitchell said his council receives $74 million for programs and services and is required to file 77 audits.“They put you through the ringer,” said Mitchell. “And all the times you (Fraser) have made recommendations and observations it blows out the window the next day.”Alluding to the swirling controversy around the Canadian Taxpayers Federation campaign over the levels of reserve politician salaries, Mitchell then said, “But when First Nations people get accused for something, it just stays in the air for a long time.”
APTN National NewsIt’s still not a widely recognized day on the calendar.But Indigenous veterans know all about Nov. 8.The day marks Aboriginal veterans day.APTN’s Tina House reports on the ceremony in Vancouver.email@example.com
The financial issues Evander Holyfield have faced in recent years continues. This time, the former heavyweight champion, who made more than $250 million in his career, is $372,000 in arrears in child support — and could end up in jail if it is not resolved soon.Holyfield, who filed bankruptcy in Fayette County, Georgia, in 2008, has been alerted that the Georgia Department of Human Services has gone to court on behalf of Holyfield’s 18-year-old daughter. It alleged he owes $372,097.40 in child support that has gone unpaid since April 2010, according to TMZ.The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported in 2009 that Holyfield, whose 54,000-square foot house was up for foreclosure in 2008 and 2009, has child support payments of more than $500,000 a month. He has at lead 11 children.Holyfield, 49, once earned $34 million for a rematch with Mike Tyson in 1997, the so-called “Bite Fight,” in which Tyson bit off the tip of one of Holyfield’s ears. Holyfield has yet to announce his retirement, but hasn’t fought since stopping Brian Nielsen on May 7, 2011, in Copenhagen, DenmarkMany of Holyfield’s children live or have lived with him on his massive estate that on 104 acres, has 109 rooms, including 17 bathrooms, three kitchens and a bowling alley.
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, December 21, 2017 – Providenciales – The donations were sponsored through the Sandals Foundation- the philanthropic arm of Sandals Resorts International- which supports community, environment and educational causes within the Caribbean region.Public Relations Manager of Beaches Turks & Caicos, Elanor Krzanowski, commented on the successful toy drive. “It’s always a pleasure to spread holiday cheer,” She continued, “With all that has happened this year, we wanted to make the little ones feel extra special. We’re happy to partner with the schools and the various organizations in making the holidays brighter for children of the Turks and Caicos Islands.”Toys were donated to the entire student body of the Enid Capron Primary School – the hotel’s sponsored school-where students were treated to toys and treats during a Christmas party hosted by the hotel’s staff and Sandals Foundation volunteers. “On behalf of Enid Capron Primary School, staff, students and parents, we are eternally gratefully to Beaches Turks and Caicos for their kind donation in the form of the annual toy drive,” said Sophia Garland, Principal at Enid Capron.Garland continued; “We do appreciate the fact that our students matter to this resort as a corporate citizen. Our parents and students are appreciative of the happiness that giving and receiving brings. We continue to thank Beaches Resort for their continued support to our institution.”For a consecutive year, the hotel also brought cheer to the Living Word Center Ministries through donation of toys.Bishop Alvin Harvey expressed; “We really appreciate the help from Beaches which helps to make our Christmas Party happen every year. It was very good, we used the toys at our annual Christmas ceremony and the donations helped us to reach our goals.”The hotel also makes a donation to the National Cancer Society. “Beaches have always been one of our corporate sponsors,” commented Rosemary Jolly, President of the National Cancer Society of the TCI. “Beaches is always very supportive. Today we are very grateful for the offer of toys to the children through the National Cancer Society. Elanor (Beaches PR Manager) offered these toys without even asking here. Knowing that we decided to give toys this year from proceeds of In the Pink to the children, this will go a long way and we are very appreciative to Beaches for its constant support of our initiatives.”Meanwhile the hosted a holiday party for the children of staff members who took part in face painting, games, dancing, and bouncing castles.Press Release: Sandals Resort
WILMINGTON, MA — Here are the obituaries published on Wilmington Apple during the week of July 21, 2019:Lived In Wilmington At Time Of Passing:Susan A. (McNeil) Roy, 49John A. Townsend, 55Previously Lived In Wilmington: Janice Kay (Humbarger) DeLap, 74Linda J. Gallagher, 71Beverly (Gaudreau) Silva, 89Worked In/Volunteered In/Connected To Wilmington:NoneLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington OBITUARIES (Week of July 14, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 18, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of July 28, 2019)In “Obituaries”
Honda ‘s much awaited scooter Activa 125 is all set to hit Indian roads on 28 April.Activa 125, the latest offering of Honda in the Activa line up has been the talk of the town since its first appearance at the Delhi Auto Expo 2014.The two wheeler enthusiasts in the country have waited enough to hear about the launch of the Activa 125 in the domestic market and now the latest report suggests that the scooter will finally reach showrooms on 28 April.A report by Motoroids claims that the Honda has started sending invite for the Activa 125 launch and the event will also mark the inauguration of the sales of the scooter. Earlier in this week, Honda revealed the prices of its upcoming Activa 125.Activa 125 will be made available in two variants – Standard (with drum brakes) and Deluxe (Disc brakes & alloys). While the Standard version is priced at 52,447, the Deluxe comes at a price point of 58,156 (ex-showroom, Delhi).The latest Activa pack a 125cc, single cylinder, four-stroke engine under the hood ,which can churn out a power of 8.6bhp at 6500 rpm and a peak torque of 10.12 Nm at 5500 rpm .The scooter, a strong rival of Piaggio’s Vespa, Suzuki’s Access and Swish and Mahindra’s Duro and Rodeo in India comes mated to a V-Matic CVT transmission and comes with telescopic fork suspension at the front and hydraulic type at the rear.It measures 1,814 mm in length, 704 mm in width, 1,151 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,260 mm. Promising a fuel efficiency of 60-65 kmpl, the Activa 125 is the first Honda scooter in the 125cc segment to come with Honda Efficiency Technology (HET). The scooter will be offered in four colour variants in the sub-continent market- midnight blue, black, pearl white and sword silver – and comes with features like optional disc brake, tubeless tires, digital meter and metal body.Technical Specifications of Honda Activa 125Engine Type: 4 Stroke, Air Cooled, SI EngineDisplacement: 124.9ccMax Power: 6.38 Kw (8.6 Bhp)@6500 rpmMax Torque: 10.12 Nm@5500 rpmDimension: 1814mmX704mmX1151mmWheel Base: 1260mmSeat Height: 765mm[ED:VS]
India may witness a mobile phone like revolution in the skies, as the Narendra Modi government is planning to make air travel affordable for common man by putting a cap on airfares at Rs 2,000 or Rs 2,500 per passenger on short distance flights.The government will bear the extra charge if the cost incurred by an airline exceeds the proposed limit on air tickets. The amount will be paid by levying a cess on national and international flights.A proposal being weighed by the civil aviation ministry will permit carriers to bid for license to operate flights between many small towns and cities where the travel time is one hour. The proposal has already received in-principle approval from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.India can emerge as the world’s third-largest aviation market if the country enables its 300 million middle class people to travel by plane “at least once a year” by initiating the above measures, a senior civil aviation ministry official, told The Economic Times.”The operator seeking lowest viability gap funding for a particular route will be allowed to operate for a period of time. The deficit arrived at through bidding would be funded through a regional connectivity fund to be created by the central government,” said the official.However, there is a limitation for the above scheme, as the government proposes to make it applicable to cities in states that have reduced “VAT on jet fuel to 5 per cent or less.” A lowered VAT would cut down the costs of operators resulting in cheaper air fares.Flights connecting smaller cities in the country are likely to start operating from the next fiscal year as the government may announce “a service tax waiver for these routes” in the FY17 Budget, said the official.While small aircraft operators are of the view that the new aviation policy will work out well, a passenger body wants to oppose the proposal as the cess planned would lead to an increase in airfares.”It will not work between smaller cities as alternative models like roads and railways between smaller cities is much more effective than taking a flight. We would also oppose the proposal of a cess, as that would increase fares for passengers,” said D Sudhakara Reddy, president, Air Passengers Association of India.
Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar, Yanghee Lee (R) gives her report next to the president of the Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar Marzuki Darusman, during the Human Rights Council at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, on 12 March 2018. ReutersA UN investigator said on Monday that Myanmar had launched new military offensives in Kachin and Kayin states and appears to be pursuing a policy of starvation in Rakhine state to force out the remaining Muslim Rohingya population.“While preparing this statement, I received information about the military conducting new ground offensives last week using heavy artillery in the Tanai gold and amber mining area of Kachin,” UN Special Rapporteur Yanghee Lee told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.“Additionally, there appears to be a policy of forced starvation in place, designed to make life in northern Rakhine unsustainable for Rohingya who remain.”