Arsenal have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Jorginho after the player’s agent revealed his client is willing to extend his contract with Napoli.The 23-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to the Emirates in recent months after catching the eye in Serie A.Arsene Wenger is on the hunt for a defensive midfielder and reportedly sees the Brazilian as ideal competition for Francis Coquelin.However, the Gunners have now been dealt a blow in their pursuit after Jorginho’s agent, Joao Santos, admitted his client could sign a new deal with Napoli.“Offers from England? That’s a question for [Napoli sporting director Cristiano] Giuntoli, not me,” Santos told Radio Crc.“Certainly he’s doing well, so it’s normal that he’d arouse the interest of the big teams. I don’t know if Napoli are planning to conduct any negotiations.“If there are teams following him it’s obviously because they think Jorginho would be helpful to their cause.“I’ve talked with Giuntoli by telephone, not just to talk about a renewal, but also to improve the lad’s situation.“As for a renewal, if Napoli want to talk, we’re ready to discuss it soon.” 1 Jorginho
Mark Saggers was joined in Paris by Andreas Evagora – Eurosport’s deputy news editor – and Phillipe Auclair – football writer and broadcaster. Ahead of Saturday’s Euro 2016 draw, they discuss the security aspect of next year’s tournament, Michel Platini’s upcoming appeal ruling, Ligue 1 and much more.Listen above.
Roy Evans has hailed Liverpool fans’ Anfield walkout over rising ticket prices.Thousands of supporters joined a 77th-minute exodus during Saturday’s Premier League clash with Sunderland.The walkout was timed to relate to the £77 it will cost for the most expensive match ticket in the redeveloped Main Stand next season.Chief executive Ian Ayre has defended the proposed price increase, arguing it relates to only a few tickets and claiming the club offer plenty of value for money in other areas of the ground.But Evans insists fans are right to fight against the proposals – and hopes the club backtracks. Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former Liverpool boss said: “Liverpool have tried to explain that it is only about a very few amount of tickets but if it is about a very few amount of tickets then really it shouldn’t be bothering them at all. They should do something about it.“The fans’ protest was fantastic. They did it the right way. Vocally it was brilliant and the walkout was done in a very positive way without any hassle. I hope the club’s response is as good as the protest was.“I’m sure Liverpool are sensible enough to make this not a big issue and to listen to the fans. It is supposed to be a game for the fans, whether you can afford tickets or you can’t afford tickets.“It is a game for everybody. It is not just Liverpool by the way, it is a lot of clubs.“Clubs say we have got these things we do for young kids, for the disabled and people that can’t afford it or whatever, but it has got to be across the board so everybody can afford to watch the great game we have loved for years.“Money can ruin everything. It is the root of all evil, as they say. “I understand, of course, that there has got to be revenue, there has got to be stuff going in with players getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. But at the end of the day you can’t keep putting that load on to the fans.”
Chelsea captain John Terry is ‘playing poker’ with the club in an attempt to earn a new contract, according to former Blues coach Steve Clarke.The 35-year-old defender caused a strom by announcing last week that he expects to leave his boyhood club at the end of the season, claiming Chelsea opted not to extend his deal at Stamford Bridge.Terry made his 698th Blues appearance in last week’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Manchester United.Chelsea quickly insisted they could yet offer their long-term skipper a fresh deal, with manager Guus Hiddink adamant the door is not closed on the centre-back’s future, but Terry said on Sunday that there was still ‘no communication’ from the club.“It’s a strange one,” former Chelsea assistant Clarke told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast. “I think John is playing a little game of poker with the club.“He’s trying to force another deal for himself.“I was at the game against Manchester United last week and John still looks very comfortable.“He still looks as though he can do a good job for the club and hopefully they can come to a sensible agreement which means John can get at least one more season at Chelsea.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Inside, the room bustled with more volunteers and employees from about 50 organizations, all waiting to provide solutions – or at least start the process. Against the far wall, the Department of Motor Vehicles was on hand with forms for procuring identification cards, and employees of the Social Security Administration screened attendees for eligibility. A row of tables along one side provided housing options. In the medical and mental- health section of the room, nurses provided screenings, arranged doctors’ appointments and distributed flu shots. “I have some beds waiting,” said Wallace Reid of the drug and alcohol treatment facility Cri-Help in North Hollywood and Lincoln Park. PASADENA – Scores of homeless people and residents of transitional housing facilities gathered at the Salvation Army headquarters Tuesday for the eighth annual Passageways Resource Fair. “In the past, we’ve done a resource fair where they come and get information and they go,” said Peggy Baddin, of the homeless services collaborative. This year, services were offered on the spot, she added. After checking in at front tables and explaining what help they needed, attendees were walked by volunteers past pet therapy dogs and into a gym. Though he expected to admit some attendees before the day was out, “the main thing we want to do is let people know that our services exist.” There were also stations for improving the attendees’ quality of life, including a massage chair and assistance with budgeting and setting up free e-mail accounts. Organizers expected to see about 150 attendees, but by noon it appeared there would be many more. Many arrived by vans that stopped at the city’s homeless hangouts and transitional housing complexes. Moses Eto, a 78-year-old Pasadena resident living in YMCA housing, came after seeing a flier posted on a bulletin board. “They’re helping me with low-income housing for low-income senior citizens,” he said. Others sought job opportunities, showers and shoes. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4451160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsIn the nearly two decades since Project Angel Food began, the Hollywood-based program’s volunteers have witnessed the spread and toll of AIDS and the HIV virus simply by the faces that await them each day. Now, they serve 1,200 meals a day throughout the Southland. In the beginning, there were mostly men as the disease claimed thousands within the gay community. More than 80 percent of the clients they served died of AIDS. In the late 1990s, there were more African-Americans, women and children who were in need of food. Now, they are seeing an older population, many, like Nacis, living with AIDS and HIV thanks to the combination of drugs that is helping maintain and even boost immune systems. “I have noticed that now we serve people living with HIV instead of dying with AIDS,” said Susan West, volunteer coordinator for the San Fernando Valley, where 30 clients receive hot meals. “In the early days, when I would go to the door and no one would answer, I would leave the meal there, not knowing if they had died or if they were in the hospital,” West said. “One time I came to a door and met a coroner. That is so few and far between now.” But on World AIDS Day today, global experts and leaders are still coping with death. A report released by the World Health Organization last month found that more than 5,700 people died each day from AIDS-related illnesses this year. More than 6,800 people are still being infected with HIV each day. About 1,200 are those under 15. In the United States, AIDS death rates have decreased from 16 percent at its highest point in 1995 to roughly 4.5 percent in recent years. But HIV persists, with an estimated 1 million people living with the virus in the U.S., according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of those, about 25 percent were unaware they were infected. In a study released this year by the Los Angeles Department of Public Health, the number of adults getting tested for HIV had fallen slightly, from 32 percent in 2002-2003, to 31 percent in 2005, the last year for which data was available. Federal health officials and those who work in the AIDS/HIV community launched a campaign this year, recommending that adults and adolescents between the ages of 13 and 64 be routinely tested. Meanwhile, services such as Project Angel Food continue on their mission. The agency has missed only two meal services: during the Northridge Earthquake in 1994 and on 9-11, West said. The agency recently served its 5 millionth meal and is expected to expand its delivery program as it settles into a new facility on Vine Street in Hollywood, where the meals are prepared daily. Because more people are living with HIV and AIDS, the agency is delivering both hot and frozen meals to those who are homebound because of other illnesses, including diabetes, West said. For volunteers like Koehnke, who has delivered meals for 10 years, giving just an hour of time reminds him of his own good fortune. He, like many volunteers, began in the kitchen helping prepare the food. “It puts your life in perspective and just reminds me of how fortunate I’ve been,” he said. “I’m delivering to people who don’t otherwise have a means of having a good meal, so I’m very grateful.” Before Koehnke leaves her home, Nacis tells him some last-minute good news. “My T-cell count is up to 800,” she says of the white cells that protect her against infections. “Oh darling, that’s great news!” he says. “That’s tremendous.” Nacis turns toward the direction from where his voice comes and smiles. “In 1996, a doctor told me I only had six months to live,” Nacis says. “I showed him.” email@example.com 818-713-3664160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NORTH HOLLYWOOD – Down a long, darkened hallway, Charine Nacis waits alone inside her Riverton Avenue apartment for a man she has known for years, but whom she could never recognize if she met him on the street. She doesn’t have to wait long. Dan Koehnke is a little early when he knocks on her door and heads for her kitchen. He empties the contents of a brown paper bag on her counter – ham, mac and cheese, peas and dessert. Nacis – who gradually has lost her vision, a result of medications she has taken to manage the HIV infection she contracted in 1991 – is delighted. The meals and visit by Koehnke and other volunteers from Project Angel Food have become her lifeblood. Without them, she could go hungry. “I don’t really like to cook, because I can’t,” said Nacis, 58.
The world-famous Oatfield Sweet Factory is to be flattened to the ground.An application is to be made to demolish the Letterkenny plant which closed in May last with the loss of the last remaining 17 jobs at the plant.The plant, which was the home of the famous Emerald Chocolates among other brands, once employed more than 80 people. A subsidiary of owners Donegal Creameries will make the application for the demolition to Letterkenny Town Council.There has been speculation linking German supermarket chain LIDL with the prime site at Gortlee.There is still a court case ongoing over a right to way at the site between original owners the McKinney family and Donegal Creameries.There had also ben speculation that the plant could be saved and turned into a museum dedicated to the memory of Oatfield Sweets. BITTER FEELINGS AS OATFIELD SWEET FACTORY TO BE DEMOLISHED was last modified: January 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:demolitionOatfield Sweet Factory
1 Sebastian Coates has admitted he is desperate to seal a permanent move to Portugal Sporting Lisbon are ready to turn Sebastian Coates’ loan from Sunderland into a permanent switch.The defender moved to the Portuguese club for a six-month spell in January after falling out of favour at the Stadium of Light.But since joining Sporting, the Uruguay international has been reborn and he has cemented a place in the first team.Within Coates’ initial loan agreement was the option for the move to be made permanent for £4m at the end of the season.And Sporting Lisbon’s president, Bruno de Carvalho, has admitted the club plan to do just that.“Of course yes,” De Carvalho told A Bola when asked if the club will sign Coates permanently.“It’s been seen the player he is, that’s why it’s clear he should stay.”READ MORE: Sunderland transfer news: Sebastian Coates admits he is desperate to seal permanent Sporting Lisbon move
Listen back to the best bits of the Colin Murray and Friends show on the opening week of Euro 2016.Live from Lyon, this week’s podcast includes Keith Gillespie, Danny Gabbidon and Matt Holland, who assess their country’s chances in the tournament.Listen above or click here to download the podcast from iTunes