Murder charge decades later

first_img “Finally, someone is going to pay for what they did to my brother,” said Colon’s sister, Esther. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “He was quite surprised to be visited by the police department at his home for something that occurred a number of years ago,” Smallman said. Colon was shot during a racially charged clash between Hispanics and Italians in June 1973 in Brooklyn, according to authorities. Alini, an Italian-American, allegedly fired his gun from a rooftop into a crowd and struck Colon, a Puerto Rican. Alini and a second suspect were charged with attempted murder, assault and reckless endangerment. A jury convicted both men but an appeals court overturned the verdict because the judge erred by allowing one attorney to represent both defendants. The men pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment in 1978 and served three year sentences. The second defendant was killed in 1980s in an unsolved homicide, officials said. NEW YORK – A suspect was charged Friday with murder in the death last year of a man who had been shot 32 years earlier during a racial dispute. Jose Colon, 47, died from infections related to gunshot wounds suffered when he was 15, a medical examiner ruled. The shooting paralyzed Colon from the neck down. Ralph Alini, who already served three years for the shooting, was arrested Thursday after a grand jury indicted him on a second-degree murder charge. The 54-year-old from Staten Island was ordered held without bail. Defense attorney Philip J. Smallman told reporters outside court that he would challenge the medical examiner’s homicide finding. He said his client was shocked by his arrest. last_img read more