Chinese Rapes 14-yr Old Girl, Goes Free ‘on Vacation’

first_imgReports from Bong Mines in Fuamah District, Lower Bong County say a Chinese national in the area was arraigned before the Bong Mines Magisterial Court for allegedly raping a 14 year old minor, the Liberia News Agency (LINA) Margibi County correspondent has reported.According to LINA, copies of documents obtained from the Liberia National Police (LNP) in Bong Mines, recorded that the alleged rapist identified as Pan Wuu, a Chinese contractor with the China Union (Liberia) Investment Bong Mining Company on June 20 allegedly raped the victim after luring her into his apartment.The victim, the police record said, was walking home when Pan Wuu met her and asked if she had a boyfriend or phone number, but the young girl reportedly answered no to the two questions.She further stated to the police that following the brief interaction, the accused gave her his telephone number, and the next day she called the number and it was at this point that the Chinese reportedly took the victim to his house at the steel factory up the mines and upon entering his house, he asked her to undress herself and he had sexual intercourse with her.“While there with Wuu, he took her nude photo and posted it on his facebook page, which was soon discovered by one contact that never hesitated to bring the matter to the public,” LINA reported.When the news of the rape broke out, the Stipendiary Magistrate, Joel Tarkpah, requested the police to assign the case to him, upon which he reportedly summoned suspect Wuu to the court.Magistrate Tarkpah did carry out a preliminary investigation into the case and later detained suspect Wuu at the police cell in Bong Mines, but reportedly released the suspect after the parents of the victim agreed for a waiver of the rape case against their daughter.Up to press time, according to LINA, the Chinese suspect had been allowed to leave the country on the pretext that he was going to China on vacation.Meanwhile, Magistrate Tarkpah has been cited by his supervisors to the Gbarnga Regional Hub for questioning in connection with the alleged rape case involving the Chinese national. Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer of China Union, Morris Tate, along with the parents of the victim, has been invited by the LNP for questioning about their alleged role in the rape case. LINAShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Breaking: Fire at GPL’s Kingston plant

first_imgThe Guyana Fire Service is probing a fire of unknown origin at Guyana Power and Light’s Kingston plant. Reports are a truck burst into flames inside the company’s compound.More details in Tuesday, March 20th edition of the Guyana Times.last_img

Colin Murray and Friends – Friday, June 10

first_imgListen back to the best bits of the Colin Murray and Friends show on the opening week of Euro 2016.Live from Lyon, this week’s podcast includes Keith Gillespie, Danny Gabbidon and Matt Holland, who assess their country’s chances in the tournament.Listen above or click here to download the podcast from iTuneslast_img

Murder charge decades later

first_img “Finally, someone is going to pay for what they did to my brother,” said Colon’s sister, Esther. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “He was quite surprised to be visited by the police department at his home for something that occurred a number of years ago,” Smallman said. Colon was shot during a racially charged clash between Hispanics and Italians in June 1973 in Brooklyn, according to authorities. Alini, an Italian-American, allegedly fired his gun from a rooftop into a crowd and struck Colon, a Puerto Rican. Alini and a second suspect were charged with attempted murder, assault and reckless endangerment. A jury convicted both men but an appeals court overturned the verdict because the judge erred by allowing one attorney to represent both defendants. The men pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment in 1978 and served three year sentences. The second defendant was killed in 1980s in an unsolved homicide, officials said. NEW YORK – A suspect was charged Friday with murder in the death last year of a man who had been shot 32 years earlier during a racial dispute. Jose Colon, 47, died from infections related to gunshot wounds suffered when he was 15, a medical examiner ruled. The shooting paralyzed Colon from the neck down. Ralph Alini, who already served three years for the shooting, was arrested Thursday after a grand jury indicted him on a second-degree murder charge. The 54-year-old from Staten Island was ordered held without bail. Defense attorney Philip J. Smallman told reporters outside court that he would challenge the medical examiner’s homicide finding. He said his client was shocked by his arrest. last_img read more