Organisation October 17, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 President Jagdeo postpones opposition TV station’s suspension RSF_en June 7, 2018 Find out more News News News Help by sharing this information GuyanaAmericas GuyanaAmericas July 16, 2008 Find out more Leading TV journalist banned from president’s office Receive email alerts Follow the news on Guyana August 8, 2017 Find out more News The four-month suspension of CNS Channel Six, a privately-owned opposition TV station, at President Bharrat Jagdeo’s behest will begin on 1 December instead of the original date of 3 October. The president himself announced this on 9 October at the same time as he announced that the general and regional elections will take place on 28 November.“So CNS Channel Six’s suspension will begin after the elections, which will allow it to cover the election campaign normally,” Reporters Without Borders said. “But the postponement does not resolve the core problem. This is an act of censorship that was decided personally by the president in reprisal for an interviewee’s comment on the air last May.“Far from defusing the controversy, President Jagdeo and his adviser, Gail Teixeira, have tried to justify the suspension by likening CNS Channel Six to Radio Mille Collines, the Rwandan radio station that openly encouraged the genocide of the Tutsis in 1994, a comparison that is morally outrageous and intellectually dishonest.“Parliamentarian Tony Vieira’s offending comment about Bishop Juan Edghill did not incite hatred or violence against one of Guyana’s communities. It was just a criticism of Bishop Edghill’s performance as chairman of the Ethnic Relations Commission. There are no acceptable grounds for censoring CNS Channel Six. This measure must be lifted.”______________04.10.11 – In “appalling” move, president orders TV station off the air ahead of electionsReporters Without Borders condemns President Bharrat Jagdeo’s order suspending broadcasting by CNS Channel Six, a privately-owned opposition TV station, for four months from 3 October. The presidential order is all the more reprehensible for forcing the station off the air during the run-up to regional and general elections that must be held by 28 December.The grounds given for the suspension is a comment that an opposition parliamentarian made during a programme broadcast on 4 May.“Firstly, this suspension is both discriminatory and absurd,” Reporters Without Borders said. “How can the president’s personal view of a comment made on the air be grounds for reducing CNS Channel Six to silence? But this appalling measure is all the more inopportune for coming during an election period. The fact that the station is owned by Chandra Narine Charma, the leader of the opposition Justice for All Party, is a further reason for seeing it as an attack on pluralism and democratic debate.”The official reason for the suspension was opposition parliamentarian Anthony Vieira’s on-the-air criticism of Protestant bishop Juan Edghill, the head of the Ethnic Relations Commission. The bishop was too close to the president and was not doing enough for Catholics, Vieira said. President Jagdeo held the station responsible for the comments, which he said were “intended to sow discord among Christian denominations.”“There is nothing to stop Bishop Edghill filing a lawsuit over the comments that were made about him but, on the other hand, nothing permits President Jagdeo to use these comments as grounds for imposing censorship,” Reporters Without Borders said.The president is known for his fraught relations with certain journalists and news media and the suspension has caused an outcry. CNS Channel Six was previously suspended in 2005 for stirring up “public disorder.”The storm over this latest suspension comes on the heels of a controversy about a new broadcasting law that the National Assembly adopted in July. It provides for a National Broadcasting Authority with a board of seven persons all named by the president. Also clause 32 of the new law says that all programmes must be “fair and balanced.”“Trying to use legislation to impose criteria about ‘good’ programme content and news coverage is unfortunately the surest way to obstruct the work of the media,” Reporters Without Borders added. Guyana – RSF urges Guyanese Parliament to amend drafted Cybercrime Bill Guyana – RSF urges President Granger not to adopt new broadcasting legislation to go further
A majority of female workers do not know what to ask from the government to protect their rights amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which has hit them harder than men, a survey found.As many as 87 of 674 female respondents in 15 provinces said they did not have anything to ask from the government regarding the protection of their labor rights, while 38 women said the government should help them return to work, according to a survey conducted between May and July by the Confederation of All Indonesian Labor Unions (KSBSI).The survey also found that 118 women did not have any suggestions for labor unions on how to protect their labor rights amid the unfolding pandemic. Women bear a greater economic impact of the pandemic as it batters industries like textile and health care, in which women make up the majority of the workforce.In the textile and footwear industry, women accounted for 58 percent of the labor force, according to a 2017 report from the International Labour Organization (ILO).The National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas) reported that the manufacturing sector, which includes textile and clothing businesses, is one of the six pandemic-hit sectors, contracting by 1.24 percent year-on-year in the January-March period.As the pandemic paralyzes a large part of the economy, the government estimates that 5.5 million workers will be forced out of work this year. As of May, around 3 million people were either furloughed or laid off, according to Manpower Ministry data.The KSBSI found that 26.7 percent of surveyed women were furloughed and suffered pay cuts, but a majority of the respondents still went to work with a full salary.With the pandemic battering small businesses, female entrepreneurs also suffered greatly as they own 60 percent of Indonesia’s small and medium enterprises (SMEs), Victoria Simanungkalit, production and marketing undersecretary at the Cooperatives and SME Ministry, said in a separate event earlier this month.In general, around half of small businesses in Indonesia reported they had no more money or were running out of savings as a result of temporary closures to comply with pandemic restrictions, according to a survey of 525 respondents conducted between April 17 and May 22 by the Asian Development Bank (ADB).Women also face greater work-related risks in the healthcare sectors as they make up around 70 percent of the workforce, according to data from Yayasan Pulih, which provides trauma-healing services. The foundation work on the frontlines in the nation’s battle against COVID-19.“We have to think about the plight of our medical workers if we want to talk about women’s rights amid the pandemic,” said Rully Sandra, who writes for the International Non-Governmental Organization Forum on Indonesian Development (Infid). “They are not limited to nurses but also midwives, pharmacists and others.”Indonesia recorded 1,492 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, bringing the total tally to 98,778. At least 4,700 have died because of the disease, while 56,655 people have recovered, official data shows.Topics : Hundreds of the remaining respondents did not answer the questions and did not understand what they needed, the survey revealed.“I see this thinking capacity issue as a very serious one,” Maria Emeninta, a member of the national equality committee at KSBSI, said in a virtual discussion on Friday.“What is even sadder is that hundreds of them have nothing to say when asked about [the role of] labor unions.”The survey also found that more than 57 percent of respondents felt a greater burden during the pandemic as they had to work harder to earn money while taking care of their family at home.
English golf club members can already register their interest in the 2018 Bridgestone Chase Your Dream Trophy, which will give three players an outing with a European Tour star. The Chase Your Dream Trophy is open to all amateur golfers who belong to the 1900-plus clubs affiliated to England Golf – and who enjoy success in 2017 club competitions. All club players can go online now to register their interest in the tournament, whether or not they’ve already won a club competition. The Chase Your Dream journey with Bridgestone and England Golf will eventually lead three players to the pro-am of the 2018 British Masters, supported by Sky Sports. Here’s how to get involved: 1.Click here now to register your interest in the 2018 Chase Your Dream Trophy. You’ll also be eligible for a series of premium prizes including VIP tickets for the British Masters supported by Sky Sports, sets of Bridgestone tyres and much more. 2. There are separate Chase Your Dream Trophy competitions for men and women and both are open to juniors. Men can enter if they win a recognised club stroke play competition in 2017. Women can enter if they are the England Golf medal winner at their club, returning the best four medal scores during the 2017 season. Entries will open in autumn 2017. 3. Club winners are eligible for regional finals, played at prestigious courses, with dates and venues to be confirmed. 4. The leading players at the regional qualifiers will go forward to the national finals as part of England Golf Week where the winners will be England’s handicap golfers of the year. The top nine players at each final will qualify to play in one of six teams at the pro-am of the 2018 Bridgestone Challenge. 5. The most successful of these teams will go on to play at the pro-am of the 2018 British Masters, supported by Sky Sports Click here to view a video illustrating the journey. Bridgestone’s Consumer Sales & Marketing Director, Farrell Dolan said: “Our Chase Your Dream Trophy has already captured the imagination of many, many golfers this year, who are still in with a chance of playing at the Bridgestone Challenge in September. “We want to build on our current success and create a competition that is etched in the diaries of English amateur players. With this in mind, we want to remind players that they can register their interest now in the 2018 competition.” England Golf Chief Executive Nick Pink said: “The Chase Your Dream Trophy is a fantastic opportunity for our members and will help to get more people playing and entering club competitions. We hope club members will register their interest and we look forward to following their progress.” Bridgestone is the world’s largest tyre and rubber company and all players in the Chase Your Dream Trophy will have the opportunity to win up to 5,000 prizes, including golf tickets, hospitality packages and sets of Bridgestone tyres. England Golf is the governing body for amateur golf in England. It is one of the country’s largest sports governing bodies and looks after the interests of more than 1,900 golf clubs and 675,000 men, women, boy and girl club members. For more information about the Chase Your Dream Trophy click here 15 May 2017 Swing to win! Bridgestone calls on club amateurs to Chase Their Dream